Skin Grafting is an advanced surgical skin transplantation technique. The technique is performed to transplant the healthy skin by placing it on burns, injury while performing plastic surgery or any kind of illness. It is a successful method our dermatologists are using to treat patients who are suffering from such skin related problems.
What is Skin Grafting?
Skin Grafting is a surgical technique in which unhealthy skin is removed and replaced with healthy skin. Our expert dermatologists recommend this surgery to the patients suffering from high degree burns, skin cancer, trauma, accidental cases and the patients who need any plastic surgery. The healthy skin is kept by removing the old skin. The transplanted tissue is termed as Skin Graft. Skin grafting helps in reducing healing time and enhances the results. The donor in this technique is a skin portion from your other body part. A skin portion from your body will be scraped out and then transplanted into the required area.
What are the types of Skin Grafting?
Skin grafting is broadly classified as:
- Autograft: When the skin is transplanted from our own healthy and unaffected body part.
- Allograft: When the skin is transplanted from the preservation. These are temporary skin shield as the immune system of our body opposes them.
- Xenograft: When the skin is transplanted from an animal source like a pig.
Why Skin Grafting is important?
Skin acts as a protective covering on our tissues, cells, bones, muscles, etc. When this cover gets eroded then skin grafting technique is required to cover the essential components of that particular area. This surgical technique helps the eroded skin to get covered with healthy skin. It has been noticed that within 10-20 days the skin will starts recovering.
What conditions require Skin Grafting?
Our experienced dermatologists perform this surgery to manage the complex wounds affecting any area of the body. The major conditions are:
- Skin cancer surgery
- Skin infections
- Large accidental wounds
- Skin ulcers
- Plastic surgery
The procedure of skin grafting is:
Firstly anaesthesia is induced into the patient so that he won’t feel any pain during the entire surgery. The skin from the healthy part is scraped and applied on the affected area. Skin grafting procedure is performed into two types:
- Split-thickness Graft: Our experts perform this procedure on those patients who are suffering from large wounds. In this transplantation technique, a skin part from the epidermis and some part from deep dermis is peeled off from the donor site especially from the thigh and hip region and applied on the affected area.
- Full-thickness Graft: The technique is usually performed on the small infected area. In this technique, the donor site is from the abdomen, groin, forearm and collarbone area. The healthy skin is scraped or peeled off from any of these areas and fixed on the affected areas.
Once the peel off is done then the healthy skin gets transplanted into a ‘mesh form’ fishnet appearance. Now the area of healthy skin and affected area both are open. The affected area covered with healthy skin and the donor site is covered with dressings to cover the wound.
Post Skin Grafting Care
After the surgery is done, the patient is advised to take care of the wound and graft so that it can heal as early as possible. Our expert dermatologists recommend that:
- Proper rest is to be taken after surgery without hurting the wound.
- Keep the dressing area clean and dry to increase healing power.
- Do not let dressing and grafting wet by any means.
- Avoid bathing for some time, instead use wet cloth to wipe up the unaffected area.
Benefits of Skin Grafting
- Quick recovery on the donor site and grafted area both.
- Excellent cosmetic results.
- Severely infected wounds get cured after the procedure.
Why MedTours Global?
- We are associated with the best hospitals globally having the emergency infrastructure, fully equipped with the latest technologies and techniques to overcome from every emergency condition.
- Our team of doctors are highly experienced in ‘Emergency Patient Management’ and work together to save the patient.
- Consultation from doctors through e-mail, phone, and video calling.
- Rehabilitation programs are organized to assist complex surgery patients.
- Complete support and assistance being given before and after treatment.
- Cost of treatment is quite less as compared to other service providers.
- We are always ready to offer our helping hand and our services are available Free of Cost 24/7.