Coronary artery bypass graft is a procedure in which the blocked artery of the heart is bypassed by taking another artery from a different place of the body and connecting it below the blockage to bypass the blocked artery. So, this means that blockage is still present but is bypassed by a new graft. The graft becomes a new passage for the blood supply and provides adequate blood to the heart muscles for their proper functioning. The redo bypass surgery is almost the same but is done after one bypass has already been performed. This makes the procedure harder to perform as there is comparatively lesser space to make another bypass. Also, the old bypass cannot be used again, and a new graft is required.
Redo coronary artery bypass graft is required only in a small percentage of patients who had previously undergone CABG but experience constant angina, progression of disease, new blocks or sometimes re-blockage of the graft or the coronary arteries. This generally occurs few years after the primary CABG.
Indications for redo CABG
Redo CABG is required in symptomatic patients where surgical revascularization is indicated.
Redo CABG is mostly required in patients who suffer from co-morbid conditions like, sclerotic coronary and non cardiac arteries, when there seems to be no other practical options to help them improve and feel better. The redo procedure is considered as the last effort by the doctor to save patients with vein graft failure alone or combined with other causes from the death.
In comparison to PCI, CABG Redo Surgery is preferred in patients with more disease vein grafts and/or low cardiac function. Redo CABG is also preferred in patients with severe symptoms or extensive ischemia.
It is also recommended in patients with risked left anterior descending artery (LAD).
In patients with freshly occluded saphenous vein graft (SVG), CABG is indicated if the native artery appears unsuitable for PCI or when many of the important grafts are occluded.
Redo CABG is also considered if the patient has several diseased grafts, reduced left ventricular (LV) function, several chronic total occlusion (CTO), or absence of a patent internal thoracic artery (ITA).
ITA is often the choice of conduit in most of the redo CABG surgeries.
Patients planned for redo CABG should have at least one coronary artery that is graftable with ischemic territory and is also viable.
Redo CABG is Superior choice of surgery than PCI in following conditions:
- Late (>5 years)stenosis
- Multiple stenotic vein grafts
- Diffusely atherosclerotic vein grafts
- Stenotic LAD vein graft
- No patent ITA graft
- Abnormal left ventricular function
Benefit of a redo CABG are
- Better chances of survival
- Freedom from cardiac events and recurrent angina
- Patient can lead a normal life with minimum medications
- Comparably effective than other procedures in patients with co-morbid conditions
Redo coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) is quite a challenging procedure than the primary CABG as it requires reentry into the sternum as well as opening of the heart. That is why it requires far better skills and expertise of a cardiac surgeon to perform a redo by-pass surgery than a primary CABG. It is an extremely demanding surgery in terms of surgeon skills as well as patient care after redo surgery.
But with growing technology, the redo CABG procedure has become almost as safe as the primary CABG operation if performed by an experienced surgeon in a hospital with complete infrastructure. The outcomes of redo CABG have also been improving in recent times despite of the patients having comorbid conditions.
Why MedTours Global?
- We are associated with the best hospitals globally having the emergency infrastructure, fully equipped with the latest technologies and techniques to overcome from every emergency condition.
- Our team of doctors are highly experienced in ‘Emergency Patient Management’ and work together to save the patient.
- Consultation from doctors through e-mail, phone, and video calling.
- Rehabilitation programs are organized to assist complex surgery patients.
- Complete support and assistance being given before and after treatment.
- Cost of treatment is quite less as compared to other service providers.
- We are always ready to offer our helping hand and our services are available Free of Cost 24/7.