PCL Reconstruction means Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. PCL Reconstruction is an advanced surgery performed on the torn ligament when PCL meets with severe injury because of accident or any damage occurring to the knee. PCL is one of the strongest ligaments of our knee. It is similar to ACL, known as Anterior Cruciate Ligament. Ligaments are used to connect our femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone). There are maximum chances of ACL to get injured but rare chances of PCL. Since PCL is on the back side and it is hidden so missed sometimes while diagnosis. It commonly occurs because of decelerations, coming down from staircase, problem in pivot joints, twisting of bones which affect this ligament badly. Our experts suggest, if PCL breakdown happens by any means then reconstruction should be performed.
What is PCL Reconstruction?
Generally, PCL is hidden by our ACL ligament so when something happens to PCL it is initially missed or undiagnosed. PCL injury is broadly classified into different grades:
Grade 1: Known as PCL sprain, i.e. ligament will break down partially.
Grade 2: Known as PCL tear, i.e. ligament will almost breakdown.
Grade 3: Known as PCL tear, i.e. ligament completely breakdown and becomes non-functional.
Why PCL Reconstruction is important?
When PCL tears up at any grade then reconstruction procedure is performed. Since it is a very important ligament of the knee, so when it breaks down by any means, then it is mandatory for our experts to perform reconstruction.
What causes PCL injury?
- Severe accident where knee is injured.
- Falling on knee while performing any sports or physical activity.
If the patient’s is suffering from swelling, knee aching, a popping sound comes and problem occurs in walking then surgery is recommended.
Before PCL surgery certain tests are recommended:
- Physical Examination
After the tests and examinations, our experts proceed with the open surgery. In PCL Reconstruction, a large incision is made and the torn ligament is removed and replaced with the new tissues and further stitched. The new healthy tissue should be taken from a deceased patient whose knee is perfectly fine. Surgery depends on the type of the damage occurred in the ligament and its grade too.
Post PCL Reconstruction Care
- Complete rest to knee
- Experts suggest keeping the knee straight to recover soon.
Benefits of PCL Reconstruction
Since it is an advanced surgery so it is performed according to the grade of the ligament torn. Once the surgery is done then a patient will be able to move his knee properly as the ligament helps in the movement and bending process.
Why MedTours Global?
- We are associated with the best hospitals globally having the emergency infrastructure, fully equipped with the latest technologies and techniques to overcome from every emergency condition.
- Our team of doctors are highly experienced in ‘Emergency Patient Management’ and work together to save the patient.
- Consultation from doctors through e-mail, phone, and video calling.
- Rehabilitation programs are organized to assist complex surgery patients.
- Complete support and assistance being given before and after treatment.
- Cost of treatment is quite less as compared to other service providers.
- We are always ready to offer our helping hand and our services are available Free of Cost 24/7.