Knee Replacement Surgery also known as “Knee Arthroplasty”. The surgery is performed on he patients suffering from arthritis or severe knee injury. During this procedure resurfacing of the knee damaged by arthritis is done by using metal and plastic parts placed as caps at the end of the bones to make knee joint assisting with a knee cap called “patella” on top.
What is Knee Replacement?
Knee replacement, a widely used surgical technique where resurfacing of the damaged knee is done by placing metal and plastic caps in the knee joint accompanied by knee cap. The surgery is performed on the patients suffering from severe knee injury caused by hitting during sports, falling from the top, osteoarthritis, a degenerative disease occurs in knee joint and mainly affecting age group of 50-80 years where breakdown in the joint cartilage and adjacent bones of knee occurs.
Rheumatoid arthritis is anothervere case where synovial membrane gets affected which is responsible for lubrication while walking results in increasing the synovial fluid metabolism in excess amount, which leads to pain and stiffness in the joint. Traumatic arthritis occurs due to severe damage in the knee cartilage which leads to Knee Replacement Surgery to control knee pain.
What conditions require Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement is a routine surgical technique performed when the knee joint gets damaged and patient starts feeling pain in the resting condition and starts losing its mobility. Doctors state that the most common reasonr knee replacement are as follows:
- Arthritis, mainly osteo and rheumatoid
- Bone dysplasias i.e. unusual bone growth
- Avascular necrosis i.e. bone tissue death due to blood supply interruption
- Severe knee injury
- Loss of knee cartilage
- Knee deformity
This is a mandatory and best surgical procedure which a patient requires at a certain age suffering from severe knee joint pain.
The procedure starts one or two weeks before surgery where few tests are performedthe patient before admission in hospital to check which anaesthesia is best for patient. The tests are as follows:
- Physical diagnosis
- Anaemia check
- Certain Blood tests
- Urine analysis
- Coagulation test to check if patient is haemophilic
- Baseline metabolic tests
- Different cardio related tests
After inducing anaesthesia surgeons will perform the surgery by holding the knee in a pyramid position and remove all the excess fat tissue which is a hurdle in the surgery. Now, knee replacement surgery is performed by two different techniques which are as follows:
- Total Knee Replacement (TKR): A deep incision is made in the skin from the centre of the knee until joint capsula is exposed and knee joints present in both of the sides is replaced with the metal and plastic parts. Surgeons do apply a medicated plaster on knee and adjust the same with different ortho tools which helps the knee to bring back in its original position.
- Partial Knee Replacement (PKR): In this technique, a small operation is performed where a deep incision made in skin on one side of the knee as only one side of the knee joint required replacing with fresh metallic and plastic parts accompanied by knee cap to cover it. PKR is a small surgery and does not take much time.
Post Knee Replacement Surgery Care
After surgery patient need to take care for safety, comfort and recovery purpose.
- Prescribed medicines to be taken on time.
- Proper rest is suggested by our surgeons for the quick recovery.
- Exercise programmes will be suggested by our experts for the flexible knee movement.
- Whenever required, a follow up check-up if recommended, then patient has to visit the doctors to avoid any loss.
- Avoid water contact post surgery.
- No heavy or light weight lifting to avoid any knee pain.
- Patient can lead a normal life after four to six weeks.
Results of Knee Replacement Surgery
- After Knee Replacement Surgery a patient is given walker or stick which helps him to move slowly and gradually to avoid any further damage.
- Sports men can gain good heights even after the surgery after few weeks.
Benefits of Atlantoaxial Fixation
- Patient gets quick relief from hospital after Partial Knee Replacement Surgery and can easily enjoy working in just couple of weeks.
- A support is required while walking for body balancing.
- Our surgeons suggest that if after surgery patient want to increase life expectancy then he should follow a healthy lifestyle.
- Quick recovery just after surgery in PKR surgery.
Why MedTours Global?
- Our global associated hospitals have best emergency infrastructure, fully equipped with latest technologies and techniques to crane every emergency condition.
- Our team of doctors are highly experienced in ’emergency patient management’ and work together to save the patient.
- Consultation from doctors through the mail, phone and video calling.
- Rehabilitation programs to assist complex surgery patients.
- Complete support and assistance being given before and after treatment.
- Cost of treatment is quite less as compared to other service providers.
- We are always ready to offer our helping hand and our services are available Free of Cost 24/7.