Corneal Surgery is a transplant procedure of cornea, also known as Keratoplasty. The cornea is a transparent, dome-shaped surface present in our eyes which due to any deformity if doesn’t function properly then cornea transplant procedure is required. In this procedure, the cornea will be removed and replaced with the corneal tissue of a donor.
What is Corneal Surgery?
Corneal Surgery is a procedure to transplant cornea by replacing the diseased cornea with the donor’s cornea for better vision and reduction in pain.
Who needs Corneal Surgery?
Patient with diseased cornea and whose cornea does not function requires this transplant surgery. It helps in the improvement of vision.
Tests before Corneal Surgery
Before the surgery starts, our ophthalmologists perform the following tests on the patient:
- Corneal topography
- Confocal microscopy
- Ocular evaporation
- Infrared meibography
- Tear flow analysis
Our expert ophthalmologists will induce local anaesthesia and sedative so that you can be relaxed before the procedure starts. The transplant includes three different procedures, which are as follows:
- Penetrating Keratoplasty (PK): In this procedure, the complete cornea is removed and replaced with the healthy donor’s cornea.
- Endothelial Keratoplasty (EK): In this, the damaged corneal tissue is removed from the back of cornea along with endothelium and Descemet tissue which prevents endothelium from injury. The donor corneal tissue is then transplanted carefully into the eye.
- Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (ALK): In this, the damaged corneal tissue is removed from the front cornea along with epithelium and stroma. The donor corneal tissue is then planted in the eye carefully.
Once the surgery is completed, the eye will be patched with bandages so as to get quickly healed from the surgery.
Post Corneal Surgery Care
- Avoid rubbing of eyes.
- Avoid water exercise like swimming for the time being.
- Avoid heavy work out.
- Eye exercises will be advised.
- Avoid going out in the dusty area so as to prevent it from irritation and burning sensation.
- Prescribed medications and eye drops will be given for quick recovery.
- Direct splashing of water should be avoided for some time.
- Frequent check-ups are recommended after surgery.
Benefits of Corneal Surgery
- Clear vision
- Decrement in any physical injury
- Improves the quality of life
Why MedTours Global?
- We are associated with the best hospitals globally having the emergency infrastructure, fully equipped with the latest technologies and techniques to overcome from every emergency condition.
- Our team of doctors are highly experienced in ‘Emergency Patient Management’ and work together to save the patient.
- Consultation from doctors through e-mail, phone, and video calling.
- Rehabilitation programs are organized to assist complex surgery patients.
- Complete support and assistance being given before and after treatment.
- Cost of treatment is quite less as compared to other service providers.
- We are always ready to offer our helping hand and our services are available Free of Cost 24/7.