The brain tumor is a collection or a mass of abnormal cells growing inside the brain. The brain is a part of our skull which is rigid in nature and due to that if any growth occurs then a life-threating situation can occur. Tumors are basically of three types – cancerous known as malignant, non-cancerous known as benign tumors, and metastatic known as a secondary brain tumor. Though all the three cause harm because when a cell starts growing in a skull, it causes an internal pressure on it which leads to brain damage and survival is difficult for a human being. A brain tumor can occur in any age but commonly, in children 3-12 years and in adults 40-70 years.
What is a Brain Tumor?
Primarily, abnormal growth in the brain do not spread into other parts of our body. There are about 120 types of brain tumors reported which falls under the category of the following tumors:
Benign tumor: It is a noncancerous tumor which starts and is limited to a small area. Though it is not dangerous but rare cases found where benign are harmful if appears in the vital area of our body.
Malignant Tumor: It is cancerous in nature and causes severe harm to our body as the rapid growth of cells makes the condition of the patient severe with time. This rapid brain cells growth cause brain cancer and these malignant cells spread in brain and spine both.
Metastatic Tumor:Also known as a secondary brain tumor. The pressure of a growing cell when occurring on the skull which is very small makes the tumor and allows the brain tissue to get displaced. Few brain tumors also block the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) which is an essential fluid of the brain. The pressure of the size leads to swelling and other symptoms created by a mass.
What is the cause of a Brain Tumor?
The reason for brain tumor is still not found, nor how to prevent primary tumors which start in the brain is known. It has been found that few symptoms which define that you are at risk of brain tumor are as follows:
- Presence of cancer cells in the bloodstream.
- Exposure to chemicals in any form.
- Increased skull pressure causing Headache, Swelling, Seizures, Dizziness, problem in walking, weakness, nausea, and vomiting.
- Abnormal eye movement.
- Speech problems.
Several tests are performed to diagnose brain tumor and further treatment is suggested according to the type, growth, and stage of the tumor. The suggested tests are:
- CT Scan
- Hearing Test
- Visual field acuity test
- Spinal test in the lumbar region to check CSF in tumor cells
After these tests when brain tumor diagnoses then different treatments are suggested to patients based on the shape and size of the tumor, grade, location, age and health conditions. The main purpose of the treatment is to cure and to focus on relieving symptoms. Experts target to remove the entire possible tumor from the brain surgically to minimize the chances of recurrence. The patient undergoes radiation and chemotherapy as surgery alone cannot remove the tumor.
- Radiation Therapy: It is performed by two different methods called Internal Radiation Therapy, where the radiation seeds are placed surgically inside body and they target the tumor and helps in breakdown and External Radiation Therapy, where the high-energy radiation beams are focused on the targeted tumor from outside the body by a machine which is responsible for its breakdown.
- Chemotherapy:It is responsible for a tumor cell to shrink and helps in destroying completely. Chemotherapy is performed during radiation therapy which results in dead tumor cells. Chemotherapy is often used on malignant tumors and is not performed on benign tumors.
- Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy: It is a minimally invasive treatment where heat is transmitted from inside out through a burr hole made in the skull.
Post Brain Tumor Care
It takes time for a patient to recover from brain surgery. The recovery time solely depends on:
- Procedure used.
- Area affected in the brain.
- Patient’s health and age.
- It is advisable for patients to be admitted for at least 5 days during treatment.
- Physical exercise is extremely important after surgery.
- Speech and vision therapy.
Results of Brain Tumor Treatments
When a patient undergoes surgery then tumor and cancer specialist assure that the tumor cell should get destroyed from the root without harming any other body part or the area near to brain.
Why MedTours Global?
- We are associated with the best hospitals globally having the emergency infrastructure, fully equipped with the latest technologies and techniques to overcome from every emergency condition.
- Our team of doctors are highly experienced in ‘Emergency Patient Management’ and work together to save the patient.
- Consultation from doctors through e-mail, phone, and video calling.
- Rehabilitation programs are organized to assist complex surgery patients.
- Complete support and assistance being given before and after treatment.
- Cost of treatment is quite less as compared to other service providers.
- We are always ready to offer our helping hand and our services are available Free of Cost 24/7.